Looking to create some unique cocktails this holiday season? Here are five spins on classic holiday cheer that will have you…well, cheering!
- Mexican Egg Nog
Yield: one gallon
12 large eggs
18 oz (by volume) granulated sugar
3 tsp freshly-grated nutmeg
12 oz Pura Vida Anejo
15 oz Amontillado sherry
36 oz whole milk
24 oz heavy cream
In a blender or stand mixer on low speed, beat eggs until smooth. Slowly add nutmeg and sugar until incorporated and dissolved. Slowly add sherry, tequila, milk, and cream. Refrigerate overnight and serve in small chilled cups. Dust with fresh nutmeg before serving.
- Pomegranate Ginger Paloma
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 inch fresh ginger chopped
- 8 leaves mint
- crushed ice
- 1/2 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/3 cup grapefruit juice
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- 2-4 tablespoons ginger syrup
- 2-3 ounces Pura Vida Reposado
- ginger beer or sparkling water for topping
Bring 1/2 cup water, the honey, and ginger to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, simmer 1-2 minutes and then remove from the heat. Add the mint, cover, and steep 10-15 minutes. Strain out the ginger and mint. Store in a glass jar in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Fill your glass halfway with ice. Add the pomegranate juice, grapefruit juice, lime juice, syrup, and tequila. Stir to combine and then top with ginger beer. Garnish with mint. Enjoy!
- Frozen Mexican Hot Chocolate
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Total Time: 10 minutes, plus freezing time
- 2¼ cups water
- 1½ cups Pura Vida Reposado
- 1½ cups Pacific all-natural hazelnut chocolate beverage
- ½ cup Naranja Orange Liqueur
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Pinch cayenne pepper
In a large bowl, whisk all of the ingredients until smooth. Transfer to ice cube trays and freeze until solid, 4 to 6 hours. Transfer the cubes to a blender and purée until a smooth, thick slush forms. Divide between glasses and serve.
- Apple Cider Margarita
Yield: 2 cocktails
Total Time: 5 minutes
For the Rim:
For the Cocktail:
- 6 ounces apple cider
- 4 ounces Pura Vida Silver (Blanco)
- 1 ounce Ginger Simple Syrup
(I have a bottle from World Market, but you can make your own by combining ½ cup water, ½ cut sugar, and a thumb size of ginger grated in a saucepan. Bring to boil until sugar dissolves, and let sit until completely cool. Strain and discard ginger.)
- 1 ounce Naranja Orange Liqueur
- Apple slice for garnish
- Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar on a shallow plate.
- Dip the edge of glasses into apple cider, and then dip into the cinnamon sugar to rim the edges of the glass. Fill the glasses with ice.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice, and add the apple cider, tequila, ginger simple syrup, and orange liqueur. Shake until chilled. Strain into ice-filled glasses.
- Garnish with an apple slice.
- White Christmas Margarita Punch
Yield: Serves about 6
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 10 ounces Pura Vida Silver
- 8 ounces Naranja Orange Liqueur
- 8 ounces lime juice
- 8 ounces coconut water
- 8 ounces canned coconut milk
- 6 ounces coconut cream
- 6 ounces coconut rum
- 6 ounces simple syrup
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract, if desired
- For garnish: sprigs of rosemary and fresh cranberries
Mix all ingredients together well. (For a large-scale drink like this, I find it works best to make anything creamy (the coconut) in a large measuring glass or bowl and whisk it all together as opposed to shaking it.) If desired, you can add 1 to 2 teaspoons of coconut extract for more island-y coconut flavor! Taste and add more syrup if you’d like more sweetness.
Note: to make the simple syrup, combine equal parts sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk constantly until the sugar dissolves and the mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat, and let cool completely.